Dried Raw Seaweed – Specification
The Philippine National Standard (PNS) for Dried Raw Seaweed was prepared as part of the
project of the Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Products Standards (BAFPS) with the
Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR) entitled “Quality Standardization on Selected Fishery
Products”. A technical working group (TWG) was created through Special Order Number
100 Series of 2006 identifying members and experts that shall be involved in the formulation
the draft standards for fishery products.
In collaboration with the industry and the regional offices of the Bureau of Fisheries and
Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and Bureau of Product Standards, Department of Trade and
Industry (BPS-DTI), the TWG presented the draft standards for public consultation in
Zamboanga City and Quezon City.
The PNS for Dried Raw Seaweed aims to provide common understanding on the scope of the
standard, quality requirements, classification according to quality, tolerances, contaminants,
hygiene, packaging, marking or labeling, sampling, and definition of defectives.
This standard cancels and replaces PNS 602:1992 “Dried Seaweeds for Carrageenan –
Specifications.” The following significant changes have been made with respect to previous
1. Scope was expanded to cover other processed products from dried raw seaweed other
2. Definition of terms was revised and other important terms were included;
3. Quality requirements were revised to meet good quality dried raw seaweed;
4. Sections for Classification According to Quality and Definition of Defectives were
5. Other Sections were revised to fit with this new standard.
This standard is subject for review/revision every three (3) years or as necessary.